Please Login or Register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sookie's Humanity

+2
FaerieMusk
Aslinn Dhan
6 posters

Go down

Sookie's Humanity Empty Sookie's Humanity

Post  Aslinn Dhan February 9th 2010, 1:46 am

Sookie has been through the shiatsu with the supernatural world she is involved with, and she has watched her moral limitations evolve. Things she would never have considered doing that seemed unethical she has to examine within each context. She has gone through terrible physical abuse and attempted sexual abuse and absolutely mental abuse. How do you see this effecting Sookie's humanity and do you think she has lost some of her "human identity" to gain more of an identity that redefines her in the world? Are these "losses" a good thing or a bad thing? And do they really conflict with her notion of what a good person is?

And we should remember that Sookie is not human completely, she is of the Fae. As she has discovered more about this and she had more experiences both bad and good, she has seemed to have changed her value system not only have notions of bad and good but definite and acceptable grey areas in her moral compass.
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Sookie's Humanity Empty Re: Sookie's Humanity

Post  FaerieMusk February 9th 2010, 7:48 pm

Great post. I think that Sookie will continue to feel isolated and alone even though she is more connected than ever to the Supernatural world. I believe that because she came so close to death, she will cling tighter to her humanity. I think that her powers will be better and that her fearlessness will take on a deeper meaning. Just as in the books...Sookie discovers that she really wants to live. She doesn't embrace the idea of life eternal in the way that other humans seem to rush to in other books/movies/tv shows. Sookie is powerfully perceptive and I look forward to seeing things through her eyes this season.
FaerieMusk
FaerieMusk
Fangbanger
Fangbanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy February 10th 2010, 11:15 pm

I really do like Sookie, but she can be annoying at times. But to her credit, she is very loyal. True, she has been through the shiatsu, but I don't believe she would have it any other way; in fact, she thrives on it. She never really felt comfortable in her human world, but she seems to thrive in the supernatural. Maybe she is an adrenaline junkie. My problem with her is that she can be very hard on the men in her life. Granted, they have deserved some of the nastiness she occasionally doses out, but a few of them, particularly Bill and Eric, have risked their lives for her only to receive her wrath. In that way, she is annoying to me. Eric has done a lot for her (in the books) without her having to ask, and he barely gets a simple thank you. And poor Sam, he doesn't stand a chance.

Sookie needs a a male who can handle all aspects of her personality, challenge her will and stubbornness when necessary, and gently, lovingly rock her world physically. I think Eric can answer that call. No human man can do it.
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  raki February 11th 2010, 12:27 am

In regards to Sookie needing a male I think in the end it will be Sam. I've just got this feeling they will end up together. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Viking and enjoy them being together but I still think she will end up Mrs. Merlotte! Wink
raki
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan February 11th 2010, 7:06 pm

I suspect you are right, and I don't mind, so long as they don't hurt our Vampires. That is the only thing I really worry about as far as Charlaine Harris
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  FaerieMusk February 19th 2010, 7:11 pm

Aslinn Dhan wrote:I suspect you are right, and I don't mind, so long as they don't hurt our Vampires. That is the only thing I really worry about as far as Charlaine Harris

What do you mean? Hurt them emotionally? Do you feel like CH might have Sookie and Sam (metaphorically) riding off into the sunset with the Vamps just sulking back into their eternal caves?

I'm sure you'll be much more eloquent in stating your opinion? I'm just trying to paint a picture to help myself understand! Please explain...I'd love to hear what you mean by "hurt them".
FaerieMusk
FaerieMusk
Fangbanger
Fangbanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan February 19th 2010, 7:30 pm

I sometimes think Charlaine Harris has a grudge against the men in Sookie's life. I of course worry about Bill's character, she has banished him more or less since book four and the last book she practically kills him. Eric is always getting shot or some evil done to him protecting Sookie.

Quinn she just dumped and got the shit knocked out of him by Bill, Alcide she made an opportunist, and Sam, she just just keeps charring his ass on Sookie's back burner. I sometimes worry she will kill off one of our Vampires, and if she did it to either of them, I would be a goner. I would abandon the books for the show. If she does, she better wait til the last page of the last book. I couldn't take it if the romance or the glamour of Bon Temps/Shreveport were to die out.
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy February 20th 2010, 2:19 pm

Aslinn Dhan wrote:I sometimes think Charlaine Harris has a grudge against the men in Sookie's life. I of course worry about Bill's character, she has banished him more or less since book four and the last book she practically kills him. Eric is always getting shot or some evil done to him protecting Sookie.

Quinn she just dumped and got the shit knocked out of him by Bill, Alcide she made an opportunist, and Sam, she just just keeps charring his ass on Sookie's back burner. I sometimes worry she will kill off one of our Vampires, and if she did it to either of them, I would be a goner. I would abandon the books for the show. If she does, she better wait til the last page of the last book. I couldn't take it if the romance or the glamour of Bon Temps/Shreveport were to die out.

I so agree with you Aslinn. CH has said we've already been introduced to the character Sookie will finally choose. (She also said Sookie will be happy, but she won't get everything she wanted. This makes be think she may end up with only a nighttime mate, such as a vampire, and/or will not have children or maybe not her own children. Just my guess.) I only hope it's one of our guys (Eric or Bill). If CH kills one of them off or leaves them to live unhappily ever after, after making readers fall in love with them over these fast few years, I would be tempted to believe that not only does she dislike Sookie's men, but doesn't care much for her readers as well. How would she be able to do such a thing to us? If the answer is for shock value, then I would be more than shocked. I would just be pissed. Big time. It pisses me off just thinking about it.

If I were writing the series, I would use the ace up my sleeve: Nial has always wanted to give Sookie a special gift. What magic could he work for her life to give her almost everything she wanted?

Evil or Very Mad
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet February 20th 2010, 3:07 pm

As much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty much convinced that Bill will not be the man she ends up with. I heard that CH meant to kill off Bill in Dead and Gone but saved him in the last minute. Probably realizing she'd be pissing off a lot of fans. So, if she had planned to kill off Bill then that means she had never intended him to be Sookie's choice.

I also don't think it will be Eric. Hey, I wouldn't mind if it were Eric because I do think he's great. I think Eric is going to come to a point of realization that him giving up a lot of what makes him him won't be worth it. I do believe he loves Sookie, but let's face it, I think it will be a rocky relationship. They're both head strong and Sookie wants a bit of a "normal" life and Eric wants to be Eric. I don't think she'll walk out on him, he will be the one to do it. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

I honestly think she's going to end up with Sam. If something happens between these two in the next few books I'd start raising an eyebrow. I'd be happy with Sam, becuase I think CH can surprise us with a new chemistry. He's never really given up on her and Sookie always has had a bit of curiousity about him. There's something there that I think CH has waited on purpose this long for us to see it. With Sam she can have that "normal" life. She can have kids and she doesn't have to worry about being on guard with him. She knows she can work with him and trusts him, so why not spend the rest of her life with him?

I'm not saying I agree with all this, but I think this is where the series is heading.
Violet
Violet
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy February 20th 2010, 9:49 pm

You may be right Vi. We won't know for sure until it happens, but I keep thinking about what CH said about Sookie not being able to get "everything" she wants. If she ends up with Sam, she would essentially be getting everything she wants: the possibility of children and an a.m./p.m. lover. Or maybe what she would be giving up to be with Sam would be the passion she had with Eric or Bill. Now that would be a steep sacrifice, especially after having had the experience of it. And last but not least, she can read Sam's mind, which we know she doesn't like. The fact that she couldn't (usually) read the vampires' minds was one of the things that compelled her to them.

We'll see.
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet February 20th 2010, 10:02 pm

I thought she only picked up moods from shifters? and she could hear them if they thought directly to her?

She managed somewhat of a relationship with Quinn...even though she did pick up on a thing or two.

I think she'll tolerate it, but yes it does make me wonder about her not getting "everything" she wanted.

What exactly does she want?
Violet
Violet
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  FaerieMusk February 22nd 2010, 7:32 pm

Aslinn...when you put it all out there...geez...you are so right! CH is brutal to the men in Sookie's life. Wow.
Violet...I think you're on to something with the "Gone With the Wind" comparison. I guess we'll have to see how everything pans out. It will make for some great discussions as some of us will love it and others will be positively heart broken or unsatisfied with the ending.
FaerieMusk
FaerieMusk
Fangbanger
Fangbanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet February 22nd 2010, 11:28 pm

Aslinn opened my eyes to the Gone With the Wind comparrison. It makes sense, especically since no man has really walked out on Sookie. She has made all the shots and decisions. I would be curious as how she would handle someone walking out on her. One could argue that Bill kind of did that, but he didn't want to break up. It wasn't his choice.
Violet
Violet
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy February 25th 2010, 6:36 pm

CH said Sookie wants to be married one day and have kids. And of course she would like to spend some daylight hours with her husband. In the books, we'll see if she stays "web" to Eric.
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet February 26th 2010, 1:32 pm

Ah yes, the ceremonial thing. I think Sookie won't see it as a legitimate marriage while Eric will see it that way. Do I smell a conflict coming between the two?
Violet
Violet
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy February 26th 2010, 7:03 pm

Violet wrote:Ah yes, the ceremonial thing. I think Sookie won't see it as a legitimate marriage while Eric will see it that way. Do I smell a conflict coming between the two?

Definitely Violet. They are going to have to sort out their relationship for sure. I'm anxious to see how he tells her she can get out of it if that's what she wants. But you never know, she may decide to keep things status quo to protect herself from the other vampires who want to take her. It will be interesting at the very least.
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Imagine March 3rd 2010, 5:40 pm

Violet wrote:Ah yes, the ceremonial thing. I think Sookie won't see it as a legitimate marriage while Eric will see it that way. Do I smell a conflict coming between the two?

Yeah i thought that, there is no way Sookie would take it seriously. But i do think she will keep it like that though to keep her safe.

Interesting to see what people thought of sam/sookie. I defiinitly think it might happen, because she must want kids. And lets face it, Eric cant provide in that department.
Imagine
Imagine
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down