Please Login or Register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics

HBO's The Pacific

5 posters

:: Off Topic :: TV Shows

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

HBO's  The Pacific - Page 2 Empty Re: HBO's The Pacific

Post  FaerieMusk May 12th 2010, 3:27 pm

I like the Pacific. I don't love it. I hope they highlight/pay tribute to the Japanese Americans who fought in the war and were kept in detention camps. My father is 3rd generation Japanese American and his family suffered greatly during this time. I just wanted to throw that out there because I think that it's my own personal bias that keeps me from LOVING the show. It's hard to hear dirty Jap this and dirty Jap that when the war was SO different for my family. I know that the show is completely accurate and that ALL Japanese were seen as enemies. It's just hard when you have a different perspective to embrace a show about that particular war without any mention of Japanese Americans.
    FaerieMusk
    FaerieMusk
    Fangbanger
    Fangbanger

Back to top Go down

Post  raki May 12th 2010, 7:38 pm

I'm going to tread lightly, as I don't want this to cause any hard feelings. I by no means write this with intentions of disrespect of any kind. Embarassed

I just want to point out that The Pacific more or less is based on three US Marines Eugene Sledge, Robert Leckie, and John Basilone and the fellow Marines they served with. The objective was to tell the their story, it was never meant to be an all encompasing documentory of the war with Japan and tell all sides. While I admit it is a story that deserves to be told, it was never meant to be a part of this miniseries and thats just a fact. So I don't disagree, I just wanted to defend the fact they stuck to the original scope of the project. To be honest I think the story of Japanese Americans during the war deserves its own series or project, it would do it more justice. I for one would be just as interested in watching that as I have been for this series.
    raki
    Maker
    Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  FaerieMusk May 13th 2010, 12:25 pm

I 100% understand and respect your opinion Raki. I think that my personal bias completely clouds my judgment. It was such a devastating time in my family's personal history that I can't help but "go there" while I'm watching it. I respect these men and their stories...it just doesn't have quite the impact that it should because of what that war meant to my family. Does that make sense? It's not a conscious or rational conclusion...it's just my gut reaction. Thanks for putting your opinion out there with such care and empathy. I hope you don't feel that I'm disrespecting the story of these fine men. It's just my personal longing to have what we went through mean as much to other people. It's amazing how many adults have no idea that Japanese Americans fought in the war while others were interned. AMAZING. And, very sad to me.
    FaerieMusk
    FaerieMusk
    Fangbanger
    Fangbanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet May 17th 2010, 8:07 pm

Last night's show made me cry a lot.

Well done miniseries. I see awards in the future.
    Violet
    Violet
    Vampire
    Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  raki May 17th 2010, 9:04 pm

I was crying the whole time... didn't help that Godric had just met the sun prior to this airing on the TB rerun!

I really enjoyed the ending, how they took the time to show pictures and give a few details on the Marines.
    raki
    Maker
    Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet May 17th 2010, 10:22 pm

I especially cried when I read that Eugene and that guy (forgive me I forgot his name!) hadn't spoken in 30 years. Those two were different as night and day but boy did they bond. I also cried when he was leaving the train and Sledge was sleeping.
    Violet
    Violet
    Vampire
    Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  raki May 18th 2010, 2:08 am

I know, it was heartbreaking to watch Snafu just walk away from Sledge with no goodbye after everything. But who knows what he was thinking at the time and for the next thirty years. I didn't care for him at first, but he turned out to be one of my favorite characters in the end. An amazing actor IMHO.
    raki
    Maker
    Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Violet May 18th 2010, 11:43 am

I thought the same about him. I thought he was crazy and only out there for the kill. He really surprised me in the end. That kind of bond is real. When you look out for each other in war "saving our heads" that is commitment. I couldn't even imagine.
    Violet
    Violet
    Vampire
    Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  raki May 28th 2010, 6:59 pm

This Memorial Day Weekend, rewatch The Pacific in its entirety. Parts 1 - 5 air Sunday starting at 2pm on HBO2. Parts 6 - 10 air Monday starting at 2pm on HBO2

From The Pacifics facebook page Wink
    raki
    Maker
    Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  raki June 6th 2010, 9:46 pm

The Pacific will be available on DVD and Blu-ray beginning November 2nd. Relive the miniseries and dive deeper into the history of WWII with a host of special features, including the ‘Making Of’ and Profiles of the Real Marines of The Pacific.

Seems like a long time if you ask me Sad ...lol
    raki
    Maker
    Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2