Please Login or Register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics

Godric's Humanity

Go down

Godric's Humanity Empty Godric's Humanity

Post  Aslinn Dhan February 9th 2010, 1:41 am

I thought we should have a thread for this to start a dialogue about Godric, whom we hope to see more of in the future. In the books, Godric was quite different, but he was struggling with his soul and the sins of his life, and though he was an unlikable character in the books, we did feel sorry for him, much as Sookie did.

In the show, however, Alan Ball casts him as a beautiful and enlightened ancient child with a cheribic face and a wonderfully soft voice and enigmatic eyes. He seemed to look to me like the old Greek and Russian Orthodox depictions of young saints, like St. Stephen, who was stoned to death right after the death of Christ.

He tells Sookie "I no longer think like a Vampire," He tells Eric: "We shouldn't be here, we are wrong," He seemed to be in protracted purgatory, neither saved nor damned, tortured because he could not be human, but neither could he truly be Vampire.

Sookie tells Bill, "What if that were you in 1800 years?" and Bill had the saddest look upon his face. Do you think they really want to live that long? It seems Godric was not only conflicted about his being Vampire but also his long existence...What do you think? Talk to me.
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Godric's Humanity Empty Re: Godric's Humanity

Post  Aslinn Dhan October 17th 2010, 10:26 pm

One of the things I think is interesting in this season past is the notion of Vampires in an afterlife...considering the mythology of the Vampire as a creature lost to the outer darkness to think of Godric as being in some sort of hereafter is quite different. But is this the same as the human soul or are we so arrogant as think the Vampire cannot have his own soul with its own worth without the attributes of humanity?

I think if Godric does anything, he makes us wonder if the soul can only be expressed by the level of its humanity or does it have its own place in the spiritual stratosphere? Does the Vampire soul have it's own validity?

I have no clue...we tend to look at the Vampire based on our own experiences but I think they have their notion of the afterworld or perhaps, since they are immortal, they have little concept of it and once they are there, they are simply accepted as all amoral beings are, neither good nor bad, something savage but a part of the order things. We like to say the imagery of the lion and lamb in heaven is metaphor, but what if our Vampires were the lions and they had a place in the afterworld...perhaps not in an after world you and I would understand or believe in ourselves, but one that made sense to the lion....
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down