Please Login or Register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

+18
NevadaTypeA+
Barrister
Renee
Fairy
Imagine
GodSpeed
gigi
Mikey likes it
FaerieMusk
locket
Linzy
raki
Val
Aslinn Dhan
SugarMags
Scarlett Harlot
TiffTiff
Only1JenB
22 posters

:: Off Topic :: Books

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What are you reading? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post  SugarMags November 24th 2010, 10:03 am

Linzy - you'll have to let me know how you liike Alpha and Omega. I've been thinking of downloading some new material.
SugarMags
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  raki November 24th 2010, 10:09 am

I've been looking at the Alpha and Omega series as well, can't wait to get your opinion Linzy.

Just finished Blood Trinity...it was ok. I will pick up the next book when its released, lets just hope it gets better. So I guess you could say it was good enough to get me wondering what will happen next LOL
Now I'm reading Moon Sworn, book 9 in the Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur.
raki
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags November 24th 2010, 10:37 am

Hmmm.. thanks for the opinion on Blood Trinity, Raki! That's another I was looking at.

I'm in the middle of Christine Feehan's "Dark" (Carpathian) series at the moment. Again, it's O.K. I don't love it, don't hate it. Some books are better that others. At least it's helping me get through the hiatus. I just finished the short from this series "Dark Descent" with Traian and Joie.
SugarMags
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy December 11th 2010, 11:50 pm

I finished the Alpha and Omega Series by Patricia Briggs.
I liked it a lot. If you start this series make sure you start with the Alpha and Omega short story Moon Called in the anthology On the Prowl first.
But I would suggest you read the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs first. I don't think I would have liked the A & O series as much if I hadn't read the MT series first.

Right now I am reading Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff.
It is the Cleopatra biography. It is pretty interesting.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffTiff December 12th 2010, 5:52 am

I am reading the same thing Linzy! It gets a bit bland at spots, but it is pretty good.
TiffTiff
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags December 12th 2010, 10:13 am

I'm reading the "Lexi Steele" series by Cheyenne McCray. The first is "The First Sin" and the second is "The Second Betrayal". I'm finding the books suprisingly good. Lexi is a kick-ass, ask-questions-later type heroine, who kinda reminds me of Anita Blake sometimes.

No supernatural elements in these books, though.
SugarMags
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags January 1st 2011, 11:09 pm

I'm going to have to recommend an independent author that I found totally by chance on amazon.

Tina Folsom writes the "Scanguard Vampire" novels. There's only 3 so far, and they are surprisingly good! Good enough that I'm looking into downloading more of her novels.

What caught my attention was the first novel's premise. The hero, Samson (a vampire, of course), suffers from ED.. yes, erectile disfunction. Had to read that one!!! Of course, until he met the right human woman!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SugarMags
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee January 3rd 2011, 10:19 am

I"m reading Charlaine Harris' Lilly Bard series, set in Shakespear AK. I'm on book 3 so far and admit I'm enjoying learning about the detective we met briefly in Dead as a Doornail.

There are only 5 books in the series and Harris has said that Lilly's adventures are complete.

Renee
Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  westexan January 3rd 2011, 11:19 pm

I forgot about that series Renee!!! Thank you, I have been wanting to start something new.
westexan
westexan
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy January 4th 2011, 11:04 am

I've been reading Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series and just finished book 3 (of 7 I think). They are usually set in medieval Scotland and include a variety of magical characters such as Beserkers, fae, Druids, or ancient Picts. Of course the heroes and heroines are very beautiful. If you enjoy historical fiction and fantasy, you will love this series! Also check out her Fever series.
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy January 4th 2011, 8:07 pm

I love the Highlander Series!

I have started the Vampire Huntress Legend Series by L.A. Banks.
I like it so far.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy January 12th 2011, 7:31 pm

Tonight I will begin the 7th book of the Highlander Series, Spell of the Highlander. All the ice we have had this week has allowed me some extra time, so I have devoured this series. I just love these books!

(If Eric leaves me alone too long, I just may find myself an ancient Druid Highlands warrior... or maybe Jericho Barrons!!)
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  SugarMags January 13th 2011, 10:23 pm

I'm in the middle of the Highlander series right now as well. I just finished Kiss of the Highlander. I wouldn't mind a wee tup with a braw Highlander! Twisted Evil
SugarMags
SugarMags
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairy January 14th 2011, 2:39 pm

Sugar, you have only tipped the iceberg! You will love the Highlander series. I finished the last book last night. I'm still swooning. If Eric isn't careful, I'll be heading off to Scotland to find myself a Keltar!!!!
Fairy
Fairy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy January 15th 2011, 12:45 am

I would take any Keltar or Circenn. Twisted Evil

I am reading the Lost Symbol - Dan Brown.

Last edited by Linzy on February 8th 2011, 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy February 8th 2011, 1:51 am

I just finished rereading Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I can't wait for the new Cat and Bones book which comes out Feb. 22.

Now I am in the middle of rereading Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison. The new Hollows book also comes out
Feb. 22. cheers
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  raki February 8th 2011, 9:40 am

I'm currently feeding my Joe Abercrombie addiction, rereading The First Law trilogy and I just picked up his newest release that came out today The Heroes on my Nook app. Can't wait to start reading this new book! study
raki
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan February 8th 2011, 11:22 am

The Jack the Ripper Casebook
Aslinn Dhan
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Val February 11th 2011, 3:46 pm

I just finished the 4 Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris. Really good mystery series and intense emotional story-line. Very interesting characters. I wish she'd do a spin-off series starring Manfred, as he really is my favorite character in the series. Book names & reading order:

1. Grave Sight
2. Grave Surprise
3. An Ice Cold Grave
4. Grave Secret

Series premise:
Harper Connelly and Tolliver Lang are step-siblings. Both came initially from "normal" upper, middle-class families. Harper has a full-sister, Cameron. Tolliver has a full-brother, Mark. Tolliver's mom died of cancer and Harper's dad went to jail. Harper's mom married Tolliver's dad, making a blended family of 4 children. When Harper and Tolliver's parents married, they had two more children together, Gracie and Mariella, making a blended family of 6 children. The parents, who both were previously successful attorneys, began doing drugs with some of their clientele and spiraled downward into drug and alcohol addiction and child-neglect. This caused the two brothers, Mark and Tolliver, to have to work to support the family while the two sisters, Cameron and Harper, struggled to keep the trailer clean and to raise the two little girls in an effort to keep social services at bay. One evening during a storm, Harper was struck by lightning through the window in the bathroom of their trailer at the age of (I think) 15 years old. Tolliver was there and gave Harper CPR until the ambulance came - saving her life. Due to their dysfunctional upbringing and the obvious connection resulting from the life-threatening event, Harper and Tolliver forged a life-long bond between them. Although all characters in this series are human, there are still some preternatural forces at work (vs. supernatural as in the Sookie Stackhouse series). Harper gained the ability to locate dead people and to determine the cause of death after the lightning strike, adding more struggle for normalcy in her life, where Tolliver remains her anchor. This series follows a myriad of mysterious deaths and disappearances as well as the life and relationship of Harper and Tolliver and their interaction with friends, enemies, peers, and family.

I also read a book by a new author, Allison Pang, called A Brush of Darkness. I LOVED this! It was a fast-paced 368-page urban fantasy novel. What I love about the urban fantasy genre over the basic "romance" genre is that they don't always necessarily have a HEA at the end of every novel, per se. It's often more character development and universe-development and more heartbreak and more tough decisions and outcomes and trials and struggles and (oddly enough) a more "realistic" response to those hardships that the characters endure. Anyway, back to the book. If you like the Fever series or the Merry series (to a certain extent), you will LOVE this upcoming series. We have demos, pixies, werewolves, vampires, incubus, succubi, fairies and more. So far, this is the first in the series and I currently have no idea what the next title or release date is, although there is a sneak preview of the next novel at the end of this book. The main character, Abby, is sexy, independent-thinking, headstrong, although not very confident in herself which I think lends her a certain amount of believability and needed vulnerability. The premise of the story revolves around the "crossroads" and its travelers and conduits. The crossroads obviously consisting of four paths: the path of Light (Heaven: Angels), the path of Dark (Underworld: demons, vampires, etc.), and the path of Middle Earth (the Fae), and a fourth path which is revealed in the book. The travelers of the crossroads can only visit our earthly plane during certain times unless they have a Touchstone which allows them to come and go at will. Certain humans can become the Touchstones for these "otherworldly" beings by entering into contracts with them. Since the Fae are in control of the Crossroads, a powerful Fae is designated as its Protectorate which includes the enforcement of the contracts. Abby is the Touchstone for the Protectorate, but as she discovers, she's also a rare Keystone which allows her to be the Touchstone for multiple OtherFolk just by touch and without entering a contract. A Brush of Darkness is a fun, sexy, and fast-paced paranormal that I devoured in one sitting which left me wondering, speculating and impatient for the next entry into the series.
Val
Val
Donor
Donor

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy February 11th 2011, 5:50 pm

I loved the Harper Connelly series too

I just read A Brush of Darkness too. I loved it! I can't wait for the next one in this new series.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy March 3rd 2011, 10:43 pm

There have been quite a few new releases recently.

Pale Demon by Kim Harrison was awesome. I really love the Hallows series. I can't wait for the next book.
This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost was also pretty good.
I just finished River Marked by Patricia Briggs, which was is the 6th book of the Mercy Thompson Series. I loved it!

I also am reading the Otherworld Series by Yasmine Galenorn. A friend recommended it and I am loving it so far. It is categorized under romance but I think it is more sci-fi than anything else.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  raki March 14th 2011, 8:27 pm

Just finished This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost as well. I agree with Linzy it was pretty good.
It was cool to get a teaser for the next book One Grave at a Time as well!

Spoiler:

Does anyone know if the next Night Huntress World book will be about Vlad? It seemed like she was building him up for that with this last book, or was it just me? Shrug
raki
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy April 5th 2011, 12:19 am

I am on the fourth book of the Undead Series by MaryJanice Davidson.
They are hilarious. You gotta love a vampire with a shoe fetish, a woman after my own heart.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee April 5th 2011, 5:00 am

Linzy wrote:I am on the fourth book of the Undead Series by MaryJanice Davidson.
They are hilarious. You gotta love a vampire with a shoe fetish, a woman after my own heart.

Ok, I've gotta check these out! I'm currently revisiting the Brothers of the BDBH, haven't changed my mind either, Rhage is still the ONE!!!

Renee
Renee
Renee
Vampire
Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzy April 5th 2011, 2:00 pm

You will love them Renee. You are actual the first person I thought of when I started reading that series.
Linzy
Linzy
Maker
Maker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next